Sunday, October 18, 2009

Cops, Visitors & our 5-Year Anniversary

I'm hesitant to write this post because I have that "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" drilled into me. I've been in a funk since last Wednesday & that's why I haven't written since Tuesday.

It started with a phone call from Olin about going out to eat for lunch that day. I didn't want to spend the money, but the IT guys were going out for Chinese & he wanted to go, so we did. On the way there, I was pulled over by an unmarked cop. When I couldn't find my current insurance card, I asked him if there was any way to verify that I had current insurance in his system somewhere & he lied & told me no. When I got home I looked for the card & couldn't find it anywhere. I had to print a temporary one off the website & request a permanent one be mailed. This alerted me to the fact that I am in desperate need of some paper sorting in the office. Mail just goes into piles & gets stuffed in drawers when company comes. I hate paper. Whatever happened to the myth of a paperless society?

Anyway, I went for a walk with my friend Pam & worked off all my frustrations. He had only given me a warning, after all. I made granola that night for Jan. I didn't measure the cinnamon, so it turned out extra cinnamony - yum!

Thursday I got the oil changed & planned to get new tires in the afternoon, but the tires didn't come in. We have to wait until Wednesday morning, which is tight since we're leaving Wednesday afternoon for a road trip to Iowa. I worked several hours at the Parelli office helping answer some questions & fix some problems, then went to Mexican for lunch with Jan. I went to Aurora's that evening & watched Survivor with her.

Friday was the day to prepare for guests, after doing home delivered meals. Friday evening the ladies of the church fed the DayStar Academy students & staff haystacks at the church, then enjoyed their musical concert before "divvying them up" & taking them home with us. We took a staff couple & their 2 girls plus 3 Academy girls. They followed us home in a big van, so we didn't have to fit them in our car.

Mr. Hicks was sick with a throat infection & so was one of the girls. We offered them tea & vitamin c & echinacea & colloidal silver & ambrotose & immunostart & a hot bath or shower. They took us up on most of it. We fed them waffles with strawberries & peaches for breakfast. Simple, but good. We sent them off to the Shell station in the morning to meet up with the rest of their crew. Mr. Hicks left his violin at our house, so we ran it up to the Shell & were able to see Matthew off with the other kids.

The church school kids did the entire church service & did a wonderful job under the direction of the new schoolteacher, Dwight Thompson.

Olin had a drive planned for our 5 year anniversary that afternoon after church. He had expected it to take 3 hours, but it took more like 5. We drove down towards Summitville then turned & then veered left where Elwood pass veers to the right. We went through a town called Platoro, then back home through Chama via 84.

Today we just hung out at the house, had spaghetti for lunch & here we are! Hopefully will have some good things to report soon...


  1. Happy anniversary!

    That sounded like a mostly positive report. :)

  2. So I guess you guys drove 1 hour for each year of marriage. =)

    Thanks for your comments on my blog.