Monday, November 11, 2013

Pot Pie!

So this is what I'm up to nowadays. Olin says he's gaining weight, though, and wants to start eating lighter suppers or no supper. Thankfully, this was lunch. I started at about 10 a.m. & it came out of the oven around noon, so I was happy, until we took our first bite - HOT! Maybe I need it to come out a 1/2 hour or so before lunch, so it has time to cool slightly before we attempt to eat it. Let's see, how did I make it? Well, it was my first attempt, and my go-to website is, so I always pull up several recipes (eight, in this case) when it's something I haven't made before.

I started a little scattered, but thankfully it all came together in the end. 

This morning I found the mixing bowl for my Blendtec Mix'N'Blend (we're still unpacking from our recent move to Maine), so I decided to make the crust in that. I put in 3 cups of whole wheat pastry flour, 1 tsp salt & mixed those up. While it was mixing I drizzled in about 5 oz of oil (5/8 cup). I then drizzled in  2/3 cup cold water while it mixed. I took it out & formed a couple of dough balls. One I wrapped in plastic wrap & put in the fridge, the other one, I took off a chunk & rolled it with my marble rolling pin between two pieces of waxed paper & smushed it into the personal cobbler dish & cut off the extra dough. 

I chopped up an onion & sauteed it in water, adding 5 cloves of garlic once the onions had cooked for a little while. Then I chopped 3 or so small carrots & two potatoes. I cooked the carrots first & later added the potatoes to 2 cups of french onion soup from a carton I had on hand. I chopped one stalk of celery & added that to the stew, along with some chicky baby seasoning, some chik'nish, some marjoram, cumin & basil. I added some whole wheat pastry flour to thicken as well as some arrowroot powder. I also added some earth balance and several scoops of Better Than Milk Soy Original powder (which I will leave out next time). I added the onions & garlic in next. I forgot to add the peas & almost forgot the salt (but added it just before I finished filling the 2nd pot pie). Once the stew was done, I filled the cobbler dishes, then I rolled out some tops for the pot pies & pinched the edges & scored the top. I baked them at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Below is the finished product. Click the pictures to see a larger view of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment